Saturday, May 29, 2010

WHY ON EARTH DO YOU WANT TO BE A TEACHER?

Dr. Wendy Ghiora – Posting #52 – May 29, 2010

Many people have asked me the question, “Why on earth would you want to be a teacher?” I smile, and my immediate response is, “Why on earth would anyone not want to be a teacher?” Have you ever taken a moment to consider the enormity a teacher’s role encompasses? To be able to touch a child’s life in so many important ways is truly an honor and a gift. It is a calling from deep within that, for me, was simply unstoppable. Here’s why I teach.

It's a Calling
First of all, I rejoice in being equipped with the ability and the desire to serve others; but especially to serve children. What could be more rewarding than to be the person that lifts a child’s spirit, and lets them know, I know they can accomplish anything they set their mind to? How uplifting is it for me to let them know, no matter what anyone else has told them, I believe in them and will never give up on them? I yearn to enable the beauty, the power and the courage inside each one of them, to be revealed, so they can see themselves the way I see them.


It's A Safe Haven of Creativity
Another reason I teach is, I can create a classroom where questioning and discovery are the norm, not a fluke. My classroom is a safe, nurturing home, from which children will leave with more self-confidence, curiosity, compassion, and enthusiasm for life and learning than when they entered.


It's Passing It Forward
I want my students to exude a spirit of “being the best they can be,” in every aspect of their lives now and forever. They will not only be successful but will help others to achieve success. They will reach out and share love and joy with others because of the love and joy they have experienced in my classroom and grown within themselves.


For me, teaching is an extremely challenging and difficult job. However, the outcomes are more profound, far reaching and exhilarating than anything else I know. So I ask again,
“Why on earth would anyone not want to be a teacher?


Note: I will be overseas on vacation through June 18 and will resume blogging upon my return. In the meantime, I think you would enjoy my book. It’s full of inspirational and true stories:


http://www.publishamerica.net/product89724.html

No comments:

Post a Comment