Saturday, July 2, 2011

FOURTH OF JULY REFLECTION

Fourth of July Reflection
Dr. Wendy Ghiora – Posting #93

I have always thought the inscription on the Statue of Liberty incorporates the essence of what our forefathers had in mind. We still welcome people from all lands, seeking a better life under the brilliant torch of freedom. This is the poem from which that inscription was taken. I hope you enjoy it as you enjoy this Fourth of July and the many gifts we enjoy as Americans.

The New Colossus
By Emma Lazarus 1849–1887

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Fourth of July Reflection
Wendy Ghiora

On this Fourth of July, I reflect as I stand,
On thankfulness for my birth in this land.
Some say, it’s not a perfect place,
But for me, it wields an awesome grace.
For nowhere else can one truly give,
With a freedom to think and a freedom to live.
On this Fourth of July, I reflect and stand,
So thankful I was born in this wonderful land.

No comments:

Post a Comment