Friday, December 31, 2010

HOW TO HELP STUDENTS MAKE NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS

Dr. Wendy Ghiora – Posting #77 – December 31, 2010

According to Wikipedia,
A New Year's resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous. The name comes from the fact that these commitments normally go into effect on New Year's Day.

We are almost halfway through the school year. This is a good time for teachers and students to reflect upon what they have achieved so far, and make plans to meet, or exceed, set goals by the end of the school year.

In the spirit of the New Year, why not give your students the opportunity to make some resolutions? Welcome your students back to class. Review all they have accomplished thus far. Ask them to take a moment to think about some things they would like to change in order to become even more successful in your class than they already are. Ask them to write one very specific New Year’s Resolution they want to achieve and are willing to work toward. Then model this by writing one of your own on the board. Once they have written a resolution they are happy with, have them write down what they can do to ensure their goal is met.

Here are some examples of New Year’s Resolutions actually written by teachers in this manner:
I resolve to emphasize respect among peers.
I resolve to prepare students for the State Writing Test.
I resolve to post more student work on the walls of the classroom.
I resolve to keep records in order. It’s important to know when a student was absent. It’s also essential to keep up with grading before it gets out of control.
I resolve to Be realistic: I will not make unachievable goals for my students. I will explain my expectations to my students, and keep them accountable.
I resolve to use more Cooperative Learning strategies to engage my students in my lessons.
I resolve to model to my students:
how to encourage and support each other
how to assume responsibility for their own and each other's learning
how to self-evaluate their progress.
I resolve to help others: I will provide support for other teachers in my school or district. I will not be a teacher who conceals all of their best projects or ideas from everyone. I will share, even with those who are stingy. Also, I will motivate my students to share their time by volunteering in our community.
I resolve to make a calendar for the entire semester to hand out when they get back from Winter break. I usually make unit calendars (about a month long), but maybe making this change will be a reality check about what we have to get accomplished this spring and help them be a little more motivated and organized.
I resolve to stop letting little things student's say hurt my feelings. Just like in real life, we tend to let the negative things (that guy cut me off!) stick with us more than the acts of kindness (someone letting you merge over). I will consciously focus on the positive things they say which will make me a happier, more patient and therefore better teacher.

The Positive Results of New Year's Resolutions
A New Year’s Resolution can help a child focus on a goal she believes she can achieve or on a behavior she believes she really can change for the better. The teacher can check students’ progress toward these resolutions at the end of each month. It is okay to tweak the resolution and the method by which the student has indicated he will make it a reality. This teaches the child the value of goal setting and constant follow-up until the goal is achieved.

A resolution is like a promise one makes to oneself. When the child keeps this promise, it makes her feel very good about herself. This teaches self-respect. When the goal is met and the child knows she is learning more and doing better, she has learned self-improvement is most definitely possible. A New Year’s Resolution can lead to a more productive and satisfying year.

I wish you all a very bright and happy New Year!

When you are through changing, you are through. ~Bruce Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment